Treatments for high-grade changes

If the colposcopy and biopsy show an abnormality that requires treatment, your doctor will recommend what type of treatment is suitable for you. You may have to wait a few weeks for an appointment with the specialist for this treatment. This wait will not affect your chances of being successfully treated but it can be an anxious time.

Talking with your partner, family or friends and especially your doctor can be helpful. You may also want to contact the Cancer Council on 13 11 20.

If you have a high-grade abnormality, there is only a very small chance (0% to 3%) that you have invasive cervical cancer. If you do, it is highly likely that it can be cured with treatment.

Download Pap test results: for women an abnormal Pap test for more information

Cancer Council Helpline